What is WordPress? Why WordPress is used? How to use WordPress?
Ever wondered What is WordPress? Why WordPress is used? How to use WordPress? In this article, I am going to introduce WordPress to you and answer these questions. Read on to find out more.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is an open-source, free, web-based software that anyone can use to build and maintain a blog. Of late, WordPress is also used to build and maintain websites. And because WordPress is open source, it now serves more than just a website or a blog. It is also being used as a “Content Management System” (CMS), thereby enabling full-sized, social media-rich business websites to be built and maintained with relative ease.
Why WordPress is used?
Some of the most general reasons are listed below:
- WordPress was originally intended to be a blogging tool and it later evolved to be a lot more than just a blogging platform. The ability to blog lets you write individual articles on any topic of your choice and exchange views from your visitors in the form of comments. Visitors can also subscribe to your site content using RSS, without having to visit your blog for every article, thereby improving your reader base.
- WordPress offers several Search Engine Optimization (SEO) techniques that the search engines love to respond to. Hence it offers a very good opportunity to grow your website’s reach thereby giving you an excellent opportunity to expand your visitor and customer base.
- It’s very easy to change the look and feel of your WordPress blog/website, without having to write even a single line of code yourself. The WordPress designs are based on “Themes”. These themes are nothing but a collection of webpage layout, CSS and images that let you customize the look and feel of a WordPress site. These page layouts can be created using software such Adobe Fireworks, Adobe Photoshop, etc.
- WordPress offers “User Management” feature. You can also have others manage your WordPress website for you by assigning them roles and thus, have them add articles, moderate comments and much more. The basic requirement to be able to carry out such tasks is to have an Internet connection and access to the WordPress website, hence it makes it very easy for the WordPress website owner to maintain it personally or have it done by others.
- Let’s you expand the standard functionality of WordPress by allowing you to install “Plugins”. The functionality of the plugins can include addition of contact form, shopping cart, e-commerce facilities and a lot more.
How to use WordPress?
I have written a full-fledged article that explains how to use WordPress with examples. Feel free to check it out here.
If you would like to own a WordPress website and would like us to help you with it, feel free to contact us and we will build a custom WordPress theme that will fit your requirement.